Muck and Money?

by  |  March 24th, 2009  |  Published in All, Blog

The Exxon Valdez belched its errant oil onto the shores of Valdez, Alaska 20 years ago.

Ten years ago, I had a reporting crisis over the question: Had Valdez recovered?

I hired a freelance TV reporter to produce a 90 second story for ScienCentral to deliver to ABC News for local newscasts across the country. We have delivered thousands of stories to ABC since 1999, though back then we were new at it.

Also on ScienCentral

The freelancer lived in Seattle. She interviewed about a dozen people in researching the story, recording 3 or 4 on camera. There was a documentary filmmaker who actually got on a boat and checked out inlets along the coast. Beautiful – they looked pristine. That made sense. Exxon had spent hundreds of millions of dollars – albeit slowly and under enormous government pressure – to clean up the 11 million gallons of crude it spilled into Prince William Sound. The mayor of Valdez said it was amazing how well nature can recover from such insults, with the right cleanup plus 10 years.

Something nagged at me, though. Was it really clean? How would I know? I worried over the script, the images, everything. I did my best to manage the process of getting this story out the door. It went to ABC. Then it hit me. WHO PAID THE PEOPLE WE INTERVIEWED? It turned out that everyone interviewed took money from the Exxon cleanup fund, even the mayor of Valdez. And I pulled the plug on that story.

The freelancer said that everyone, in one way or another, lived on Exxon’s money. I refused to believe that. And indeed, people who do not take Exxon money say that the Sound has yet to completely recover. Tars remain under the waves; bird populations have never fully recovered.

To this day, the debate remains as to how long it will take for the entire ecosystem to recover. What is not a matter of debate, to me, is that if you follow the money, you can eventually find your way to a proper pile of muck.

1. 20 Years Later: Exxon Valdez Spill Lingers | ScienCentral | Science Videos | Science News says:

March 25th, 2009 at 7:49 am (#)

[...] Muck and Money? Featured Blog [...]

2. get a job loser says:

December 16th, 2013 at 10:33 pm (#)

Very good post. I simply found your current weblog in addition to needed to express that I have got actually treasured checking your own blog page articles. In any case I am opt-in in your nourish and I we do hope you compose once more immediately!

3. Coupon & Savings page says:

January 24th, 2014 at 7:01 am (#)

This is fantastic. Everyone loves getting superior details, i needed to figure out a great deal more. Many thanks acquiring these kinds of excellent pertient data.

4. douglas pitassi says:

September 23rd, 2014 at 11:13 am (#)

douglas pitassi

Muck and Money? | ScienCentral | Science Videos | Science News :: ScienCentral | Science Videos | Science News

5. exclusive iPhone 6 cases says:

November 26th, 2014 at 2:10 am (#)

They have achieved this by combining a very simple solution with a fantastic customer service department that is available 24/7 through many forms of contact. From Today you will be able to Bypass and Activate Any iPhone and Any iOS world wide no problem.

6. best toaster 2015 says:

August 9th, 2015 at 2:13 pm (#)

best toaster 2015

7. Leather iPhone 6S Plus Case says:

October 3rd, 2015 at 10:58 am (#)

Much has been written in surprisingly passionate terms about this new color, but the bottom line is that there’s now a pretty pink iPhone, it doesn’t look half bad, and if you’ve been waiting FOREVER for a pink iPhone (that wasn’t the 5c), you can now rest in peace.

8. Best Fake Yeezy Boost 350 says:

May 26th, 2017 at 12:34 am (#)

It’s not clear if these custom works were done in conjunction with adidas or executed as a solo project, but it’s still amazing to see the finished product from the artist himself.