Pollution Gives Asthma to the Unborn

by  |  February 26th, 2009  |  Published in All, Blog

By Heather Mayer

Pregnant women go to great lengths to ensure good health for their unborn babies: cutting out things like alcohol or caffeine while adding certain recommended foods.

But evidence is mounting for a risk factor that moms-to-be can’t easily control: where they live during pregnancy.

New research published in the journal PLoS ONE shows that children born in areas where there is high pollution due to traffic are more likely to develop asthma, and that the asthma is attributed to changes in the womb, not exposure after birth. The work was done by researchers at the University of Cincinnati (UC) and Columbia University’s Mailman School of Public Health.

Also on ScienCentral

Unfortunately, this study isn’t the only one to discover negative health risks of pollution on unborn children. In addition to the higher risk of asthma, fetuses that are exposed to pollution — fossil fuels and traffic pollution — also are at risk for mental deficiencies. (See "Also on ScienCentral for news videos on the same Columbia University research team that worked on this study.)

The UC study is the first to look at the effects of prenatal ambient air pollutant exposure on epigenetic changes linked to asthma. The researchers analyzed the umbilical cords from infants born to mothers living in northern Manhattan and the South Bronx. They found an epigenetic alteration in the gene ACSL3, which is associated with prenatal exposure to polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs). Exposure to PAHs, which come from incomplete combustion of fuels from cars and trucks — has been linked to diseases such as cancer and childhood asthma.

The exposure to PAHs, the research suggests, seems to reprogram fetal genes and lead to airway inflammation or asthma during childhood.

What Can Expectant Moms Do About This?

The Columbia research team at the Center for Children’s Environmental Health have a web page that details their advice. You can see it here.

1. Pollution Gives Asthma to the Unborn | OncoBlog.com says:

February 26th, 2009 at 6:30 pm (#)

[...] original here: Pollution Gives Asthma to the UnbornRelated Posts No Related [...]

2. liquidmelatonin says:

July 27th, 2009 at 9:43 am (#)

my girlfriend has Asthma and this disease really annoys her. Her asthma is usually triggered by pollens or dust mite.

3. how to reduce car pollution says:

July 3rd, 2013 at 4:57 am (#)

Hey I know this is off topic but I was wondering if
    you knew of any widgets I could add to my blog that automatically tweet my newest twitter
    updates. I’ve been looking for a plug-in like this for quite some time and was hoping maybe you would have some experience with something like this. Please let me know if you run into anything. I truly enjoy reading your blog and I look forward to your new updates.

4. best concrete cincinnati contractor says:

July 20th, 2013 at 9:49 am (#)

I buy happiness out of, induce I ran across what exactly I’m looking regarding. You may have ended our Five evening extensive search for! God Thank you man. Possess a terrific time. Bye

5. Capture His Heart says:

June 16th, 2014 at 2:00 am (#)

Hi there, i read your blog from time to time and i own a
    similar one and i was just wondering if you get a lot of
    spam remarks? If so how do you prevent it, any plugin or anything
    you can recommend? I get so much lately it’s driving me
    mad so any help is very much appreciated.

6. Does Vision Without Glasses Actually Work says:

June 17th, 2014 at 12:49 am (#)

Yes! Finally something about improving eyesight
    exercises.

7. http://flexbuttocks.com/ says:

October 23rd, 2014 at 9:16 pm (#)

I know this web page presents quality dependent articles or reviews and other data, is there any other site which presents such data
    in quality?

my page how to geet a big bitt (http://flexbuttocks.com/)

8. vintage lamp says:

January 1st, 2015 at 10:29 am (#)

Extraordinary issues here.. vintage lamp I’m prepared to look your post. Thanks a ton and I’m looking ahead to effect you actually. Are you going to you need to decline me a e-mail?

9. Fake Yeezy Boost 350 says:

September 28th, 2017 at 11:15 pm (#)

In the first quarter of the current calendar year, all the major tea-growing regions of India, Kenya and Sri Lanka had recorded a considerable loss in production.