Undoing Depression

by  |  January 22nd, 2009  |  Published in All, Brain & Psychology, Featured, Health

You can train dogs to bark or sit. But what about training mice to grow new brain cells? A Nobel Prize winning scientist has done that, and he says it could lead to new ways to treat depression in people.

[If you cannot see the flash video below, you can click here for a high quality mp4 video.]

Interviewee: Eric Kandel, Columbia University
Produced by Sunita Reed– Edited by Sunita Reed and James Eagan
Copyright © ScienCentral, Inc.

Slow progress for Mental Illness Treatment

In 2000, Columbia University psychiatrist Eric Kandel won a Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine for his contributions to the understanding of the neurobiology of memory. But he feels that not enough progress has been made to help those with mental illness.

We’re desperately in need of drugs for the mentally ill,” Kandel says. “One way to do this is to find new drug targets.”

Kandel and his colleague Daniela Pollak’s recent findings may have opened the door for such targets. They used mice as models to study depression and ways to treat it. Mice are reluctant but good swimmers. When they are placed in a pool of water they immediately paddle about.

Also on ScienCentral

“So it swims and it swims and it swims and after a while it sees this is hopeless,” Kandel explains. “I’m not getting anywhere. I can’t get out of this thing, and it gives up and just floats.”

This despondent behavior is a mouse model of depression. Then Pollak gave one group of mice the drug fluoxetine, the generic version of the commonly used antidepressant Prozac, and tested their behavior compared to the mice that did not get the drug. She found that the medicated mice continued to swim and showed reduced signs of depression. Previous studies had found that the same antidepressant also causes newborn cells to grow in certain areas of the brain.

Safety Training

Next the scientists wanted to test whether behavioral therapy could achieve the same results as the drug. So Pollak trained one group of mice in a conditioning box. She gave the mice intermittent mild shocks but played a ticking sound only when the shock was not present. This trained the mice to feel safe whenever they heard the tone. Next they put the mice in the pool, which at first led to the expected depression.

“If you now sound this tone, which has previously been associated with learned safety, the animal starts swimming again just like it would if you gave it an antidepressant,” says Kandel.

As the researchers wrote in the journal, “Neuron,” the behavioral training was also similar to drug therapy in that it caused new cells to grow in the brain. They’re now conducting preliminary studies of similar training in people.

“It is possible that people learn to respond… to a tone presented in this way to put them into a mood that helps them to combat the depressive state,” says Kandel.

The researchers are also excited about another finding in the study. The behavioral therapy works on completely different brain chemicals than the drug therapy. They say that discovery could lead to new drugs to treat mental illnesses.

Pollak explains, “What is really important is that we can reproduce a phenomenon that has always been like black magic–who knows what is happening in psychotherapy? Is this really working? We can show it actually does work and we can use the mouse to understand what is working and to come along with potential pharmacological applications.”

This research was published in Neuron, October 9, 2008 and funded by the Hope for Depression Research Foundation, the Austrian Academy of Science and the Austrian Science Fund and the Howard Hughes Medical Institute.

Elsewhere on the Web:

Information on depression
from the National Institute of Mental Health

National Alliance for Research On Schizophrenia and Depression

1. Karrie says:

January 23rd, 2009 at 10:17 pm (#)

I saw this in my psychology class and knowing many people who take medicine for depression I thought that this was a completely ingenious study and think that if you take this further if can lead to a whole new idea to medicine

2. Tim Q says:

April 1st, 2009 at 11:22 am (#)

Could this be linked to peoples’ response of humming or singing when facing a stressful situation?

3. Thin Brains and Depression | ScienCentral | Science Videos | Science News says:

May 28th, 2009 at 11:34 am (#)

[...] Undoing Depression 01.22.09 Antidepressant Suicide Genes 09.28.07 Generational Depression 02.24.05 [...]

4. Nina says:

June 17th, 2009 at 9:14 am (#)

People need to feel safe. If someone is taking an anti deppressant after a traumatic experience that happened at there home, they may feel a false sense of safety and feel fine while medicated, buy once they stop taking it, reality sets in, they may feel depressed again because they know they are not safe. Take that person to a new home with real security, where the risk of intrusion is greatly eliminated, and there whole world can open up. Being in a safe environment is more important than the medication, because we are not rats we should be aware of potential threats to our safety and those we love and are responsible for. There are no sounds that make people safe, except alarms to seek shelter.

5. agate cameos jewellery says:

March 22nd, 2013 at 4:05 pm (#)

What’s up, I want to subscribe for this blog to take most recent updates, thus where can i do it please help.| agate cameos jewellery http://www.goldmemoriesforever.com

6. tkff says:

March 22nd, 2013 at 4:31 pm (#)

I truly love your site.. Excellent colors & theme. Did you create this amazing site yourself? Please reply back as I’m attempting to create my very own site and would like to find out where you got this from or exactly what the theme is named. Thank you!| tkff http://www.takeload.com

7. door glass repair says:

March 22nd, 2013 at 4:50 pm (#)

If you wish for to grow your know-how just keep visiting this website and be updated with the hottest news update posted here.| door glass repair http://www.24hoursglassrepair.ca

8. foto nunta says:

March 23rd, 2013 at 2:40 am (#)

My partner and I stumbled over here from a different page and thought I should check things out. I like what I see so now i am following you. Look forward to looking over your web page again.| foto nunta http://madvideo.ro/fotograf-de-nunta/

9. FreightforwardinginKen says:

March 23rd, 2013 at 8:47 am (#)

We stumbled over here different page and thought I may as well check things out. I like what I see so now i am following you. Look forward to going over your web page repeatedly.| Freight forwarding in Kenya http://mj-resources.net

10. walmartgarciniacambogi says:

March 23rd, 2013 at 9:01 am (#)

Thanks for finally writing about > %blog_title% < Liked it!| walmart garcinia cambogia http://www.pure-garcinia-cambogia.org

11. HochzeitsfotografMünch says:

March 23rd, 2013 at 10:06 am (#)

I have been browsing online more than three hours today, yet I never found any interesting article like yours. It’s pretty worth enough for me. In my opinion, if all website owners and bloggers made good content as you did, the net will be much more useful than ever before.| Hochzeitsfotograf München http://www.fotostudioaugenblicke.de

12. AlternativestoGooglese says:

March 24th, 2013 at 1:00 pm (#)

Many thanks for writing this awesome put up..Loved your articles. Be sure to do always keep writing Alternatives to Google search engine http://asdasghdsdfs5hf.com

13. miracle garcinia cambogia says:

June 19th, 2013 at 6:51 pm (#)

Typically I would not read report on blogs and forums, nevertheless i would want to claim that this particular write-up incredibly pushed me to take a look on in addition to do it! Ones publishing tastes may be impressed my family. Thanks a lot, very terrific posting.

14. Grav Labs Products says:

May 16th, 2014 at 7:13 pm (#)

Greetings! Very useful advice within this article! It is
    the little changes which will make the most significant changes.
    Manny thanks for sharing!

15. linux dedicated web server hosting says:

June 20th, 2014 at 6:37 am (#)

Hi there, just wanted to tell you, I loved this article. It was inspiring.
    Keep on posting!

16. west auto says:

June 24th, 2014 at 8:30 pm (#)

I’ve been browsing online more than 2 hours today, yet I never found any interesting article like yours.
    It is pretty worth enough for me. In my view,
    if all website owners and bloggers made good content as you did, the web
    will be a lot more useful than ever before.

17. printsplace.zendesk.com says:

July 2nd, 2014 at 4:27 pm (#)

printsplace.zendesk.com

Undoing Depression | ScienCentral | Science Videos | Science News :: ScienCentral | Science Videos | Science News

18. Visit says:

August 13th, 2014 at 1:00 pm (#)

I’m going to keep this Extraordinarily short. I was really amazed when I read/saw this (especially when I watched the short video). For a limited time, you can begin making funds online with an incredible Handy 9-part video training course. You’ll be shown everything you require to be acquainted with to rapidly and positively produce revenue from anywhere in the world employing your computer. Check it out. These videos are TRULY marvelous and creative; I’ve never seen anything like them before. Download this $37 video training course right away. Believe me, you’ll love it. Trust me. I’ve already downloaded them myself, and they’re worth far more than $37. They’re positively worth 300 times that price, and they can be yours now, with no strings attached if you act now. This is a fantastic opportunity you need to take advantage of right away before it’s no longer usable. Actually, I mean it – check it out!

19. First start Training says:

August 27th, 2014 at 5:14 am (#)

Do you have a spam problem onn this website; I also am a
    blogger, aand I was wondering your situation; we
    have developed some nkce procedures and we are looking to swap solutions
    with other folks, please shoot mme an e-mail if interested.

Review my site: First start Training

20. drugs says:

September 25th, 2014 at 6:33 am (#)

I feel that may be one of the most considerable details in my opinion. With this particular satisfied examining ones report. Having said that need to assertion with few staple items, Your website taste is right, the actual posts is actually outstanding : Deborah. Excellent course of action, all the best

21. pet crittertrail fun nels says:

October 22nd, 2014 at 4:22 am (#)

Great blog! Do you have any tips and hints for aspiring writers?
    I’m planning to start my own site soon but I’m a little lost
    on everything. Would you suggest starting with a free platform like WordPress
    or go for a paid option? There are so many options out there
    that I’m completely confused .. Any recommendations?
    Bless you!