Mars Rover Anniversary 2009

by  |  December 31st, 2008  |  Published in All, Featured, Physics & Space, Technology

It’s the fifth anniversary of NASA’s rover mission to Mars, but “Spirit” and “Opportunity” were only supposed to last three months. As the twin rovers emerge intact from yet another Martian winter, lead scientist Steve Squyres reflects on the incredible milestone, and the future.

[If you cannot see the flash video below, you can click here for a high quality mp4 video.]

Interviewee: Steve Squyres, NASA
Produced by Joyce Gramza — Edited by James Eagan
Copyright © ScienCentral, Inc.

[editor's note: the following article was originally published in 2008]

Tenacious Twins

The twin Mars Exploration Rovers “Spirit” and “Opportunity” landed in January 2004 with the mission of exploring Mars for three months. As the years passed we may have begun to take them for granted, but they’ve never ceased to amaze lead scientist Steve Squyres.

“The previous landings on Mars– there had been three: two Vikings and Pathfinder — all involved stationary landers, they couldn’t go anywhere,” Squyres recalled. “And what we wanted to do was to explore in the truest sense of that word.”

Also on ScienCentral

Martian Living 8.09.07

Mars Life 1.17.05

After Earth 8.29.06

That meant giving the robots wheels to travel, camera eyes to see and computer brains to record and communicate – as well as some tools geologists would want along.

After the landings, the biggest challenge continues to be the threat of Martian dust coating their solar power supplies.

The Rovers weathered severe dust storms in July, and are now poised to weather yet another Martian winter. The rover operations teams have driven both rovers to northward-facing slopes to maximize the winter sunlight falling on their solar panels.

Both rovers accomplished the mission of finding evidence of water on Mars within their allotted 90 days, then soldiered on to make more surprising discoveries. Recently, Spirit even capitalized on its dragging right wheel by analyzing the soil it turned up, providing new evidence that Mars may have once harbored life.

While relying on smart maneuvering, conservation and a certain amount of good luck, Squyres learned to accept the missions’ successes while anticipating their eventual end.

“There’s always going to be some tantalizing thing just beyond our reach that we didn’t quite get to,” he said. “And that’s, I guess, the nature of exploration and so we just live with it.”

NASA has extended the rovers’ missions five times, most recently in October, 2007.

“We’re going to keep operating these vehicles until they drop dead,” said Squyres. “And that could be days, weeks, years, I have no idea.”

PUBLICATIONS: presentation at the annual meeting of the American Geophysical Union, December 2008.
RESEARCH FUNDED BY: NASA.

Elsewhere on the Web:

“Drive the Mars Rovers!” interactive site

Squyres 2007 Franklin Institute Award video profile

Roving Mars movie site

1. gabrielle wilson says:

March 18th, 2009 at 12:13 pm (#)

i just wish the clips were longer

2. book cheap flight says:

March 22nd, 2013 at 3:35 pm (#)

Nice blog! Is your theme custom made or did you download it from somewhere? A design like yours with a few simple tweeks would really make my blog stand out. Please let me know where you got your design. Thanks| book cheap flight http://www.funtraveldeals.com/book-flights/

3. agate cameo says:

March 22nd, 2013 at 4:06 pm (#)

Howdy! I know this is kinda off topic but I was wondering if you knew where I could get a captcha plugin for my comment form? I’m using the same blog platform as yours and I’m having problems finding one? Thanks a lot!| agate cameo http://www.goldmemoriesforever.com

4. papaka says:

March 22nd, 2013 at 4:31 pm (#)

Ahaa, its good dialogue on the topic of this post at this place at this blog, I have read all that, so at this time me also commenting at this place.| papaka http://www.takeload.com

5. BrianMcFaddensetsthere says:

March 23rd, 2013 at 1:17 am (#)

I had been wondering if your web host is OK? Not that I’m complaining, but slow loading instances times will sometimes affect your placement in google and can damage your high quality score if advertising and marketing with Adwords. Brian McFadden sets the record straight http://bbs.ebmw.cn/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=7421

6. foto nunta says:

March 23rd, 2013 at 2:40 am (#)

My programmer is trying to persuade me to move to .net from PHP. I have always disliked the idea because of the expenses. But he’s tryiong none the less. I’ve been using Movable-type on various websites for about a year and am anxious about switching to another platform. I have heard great things about blogengine.net. Is there a way I can import all my wordpress content into it? Any kind of help would be greatly appreciated!| foto nunta http://madvideo.ro/fotograf-de-nunta/

7. pure garcinia cambogia says:

March 23rd, 2013 at 9:01 am (#)

Have you ever thought about writing an e-book or guest authoring on other blogs? I have a blog based upon on the same topics you discuss and would love to have you share some stories/information. I know my readers would enjoy your work. If you’re even remotely interested, feel free to send me an e mail.| pure garcinia cambogia http://www.pure-garcinia-cambogia.org

8. bewerbungsfotosMünchen says:

March 23rd, 2013 at 10:06 am (#)

Hello, i think that i saw you visited my blog thus i came to “return the favor”.I’m trying to find things to enhance my web site!I suppose its ok to use some of your ideas!!| bewerbungsfotos München USA visum fotos http://www.fotostudioaugenblicke.de

9. Google sucks says:

March 24th, 2013 at 1:00 pm (#)

Many thanks for penning this fabulous write-up..Cherished your article content. Make sure you do always keep writing Google sucks http://asdasghdsdfs5hf.com

10. Jerrie Belich says:

April 23rd, 2013 at 3:29 am (#)

Rather entertaining many thanks, I believe your visitors could possibly want significantly more content similar to this carry on the very good get the job done.

11. Brooks Marlar says:

May 7th, 2013 at 10:29 pm (#)

David, you you should not receive copies in the previous letters. As the letters go forward that variety may be in the hundreds. But if there’s a particular letter send us an email and maybe we can figure something out.

12. Steel compost bin says:

June 30th, 2013 at 12:31 am (#)

Hey there! I’ve been following your website for some time now and finally got the courage to go ahead and give you a shout out from Austin Texas! Just wanted to tell you keep up the fantastic work!

13. Website Migration says:

July 4th, 2013 at 9:23 am (#)

Hi Dear, are you in fact visiting this site regularly, if so then you will without doubt
    obtain nice know-how.

14. Charissa says:

July 18th, 2013 at 7:30 am (#)

I do believe all of the ideas you have presented to your post.
    They are very convincing and can definitely work. Still,
    the posts are too brief for newbies. May you please extend them a bit from subsequent time?
    Thanks for the post.

15. Sksahid says:

July 25th, 2013 at 3:48 am (#)

I like nasa video

16. Solpria Xtreme Weight Loss says:

July 29th, 2013 at 10:16 pm (#)

Greetings from Florida! I’m bored to tears at work so I decided to browse your website on my iphone during lunch break. I enjoy the knowledge you present here and can’t wait to
    take a look when I get home. I’m shocked at how fast your blog loaded on my phone .. I’m not even using WIFI, just 3G .

. Anyways, amazing site!

17. szybka pożyczka dla zadłużonych akwarium says:

February 1st, 2014 at 7:57 pm (#)

Pięknie Niezwykle serdecznie, iż pieniądze pożyczane w
    Niewłasnej Uzupełniającej Wierzytelności warunkują piastowanie tęsknień.

Ego z kolumny rodzicielki pożyczka hipoteczny na zakup domu zaś
    także siebie go chwalę. Ma słynne oprocentowanie,
    niekolosalną wypłatę porządkową, w sumie wychodzi w znacznym stopniu taniej, niż niniejszego łepka zadłużenie w nieodmiennym banku.

18. parfümler says:

May 18th, 2017 at 9:41 am (#)

cheap Browns jerseys china Sizes Online