Michael Crichton Dies at 66

by  |  November 8th, 2008  |  Published in All, Blog

Michael Crichton was only 66 when he succumbed to cancer this week.

Not to be insensitive, but considering how good he was at spinning yarns about the dangers of biotechnology, you’d think he could have written a better ending for himself than: destroyed by a group of rogue cells.

Or maybe that is exactly the ending he would write. His books – like Jurassic Park, Prey, Next, and The Andromeda Strain – were thrillers meant to scare. People lost control of their own destinies because the forces of nature, including human greed, were too powerful. And what’s scarier than cancer, a disease we have known about for centuries but which still kills more than 7 million people per year. (On websites like fark.com and elsewhere, it’s a sardonic joke to add, at the end of the description for any given new scientific advance, that there’s "Still no cure for cancer.")

On the other hand, many scientists felt that Crichton’s portrayal of science and scientists harmed the research enterprise by emphasizing the warts and ignoring some of its strengths. Others also felt he used his popularity and status to promote a misguided agenda.

What do you think Crichton’s legacy is – science popularizer, moral technologist, or science villain?

1. wishie says:

November 10th, 2008 at 3:45 pm (#)

The “misguided agenda” link didn’t take me anywhere having to do with this, but I assume you were referring to “State of Fear?” I’ve been referred to that book by more people who haven’t read ANYTHING ELSE about global warming than that (otherwise nice folks– exasperating!! That said, he certainly contributed greatly & entertainingly to the science/policy consciousness. Godspeed!

2. Glenjamin says:

November 12th, 2008 at 3:22 pm (#)

As a kid, I loved Michael Chrichton's books. He was one of my favorite authors. As an adult I can still enjoy them, though perhaps without as much enthusiasm, for they are very simple, straightforward thrillers in many ways. Sure, he inserted his agenda within his books, oftentimes in not very subtle ways, especially in his later novels. But, I never felt that detracted much from the actual plot in any of his works, which were good fun regardless of whether or not you agreed with Mr. Chrichton's point of view.

But the science aspect of his books is what I think Chrichton should be applauded for above all. How many fiction authors out there are promoting interest in the sciences and science education, in any way? How many authors write stories that use cutting edge technology as the basis of the plot, not just a convenient deus ex machina? As a kid, I learned more about new discoveries in chaos theory, genetic engineering, under water exploration, the computer revolution, and time travel in Michael Chrichton's books than I ever did watching the news. And I'll always be grateful to him for that.

I think we should applaud

3. book flights ticket says:

March 22nd, 2013 at 3:35 pm (#)

Ahaa, its nice dialogue about this paragraph here at this website, I have read all that, so now me also commenting here.| book flights ticket http://www.funtraveldeals.com/book-flights/

4. media stock says:

March 22nd, 2013 at 4:31 pm (#)

I do not leave a response, however after browsing a ton of responses on this page %BLOG_TITLE%. I actually do have a couple of questions for you if you do not mind. Could it be simply me or do a few of the responses appear like they are left by brain dead folks? :-P And, if you are posting on other social sites, I’d like to follow you. Could you make a list of every one of your social networking sites like your twitter feed, Facebook page or linkedin profile?| media stock http://www.takeload.com

5. dr oz cambogia says:

March 23rd, 2013 at 9:02 am (#)

Howdy! Do you use Twitter? I’d like to follow you if that would be okay. I’m absolutely enjoying your blog and look forward to new updates.| dr oz cambogia http://www.pure-garcinia-cambogia.org

6. Schwangerschaftsfotosb says:

March 23rd, 2013 at 10:06 am (#)

Excellent blog! Do you have any recommendations for aspiring writers? I’m hoping to start my own blog soon but I’m a little lost on everything. Would you advise starting with a free platform like WordPress or go for a paid option? There are so many options out there that I’m totally overwhelmed .. Any recommendations? Cheers!| Schwangerschaftsfotos babybauch fotos Aktfotos http://www.fotostudioaugenblicke.de

7. Google sucks says:

March 24th, 2013 at 1:00 pm (#)

Thanks for scripting this exceptional submit..Loved your posts. Be sure to do maintain writing Google sucks http://asdasghdsdfs5hf.com

8. prostitute says:

July 31st, 2013 at 11:12 am (#)

Hi there! I could have sworn I’ve visited this web site before but after going through a few of the posts I realized it’s new to me. Nonetheless, I’m certainly pleased I came across it and I’ll be bookmarking it and checking back regularly!

9. worldwide technology group scottsdale says:

October 17th, 2014 at 5:00 am (#)

Aw, this was a really nice post. Spending some time and actual effort to generate a superb article… but what can I
    say… I put things off a whole lot and never anage to get
    nearly anything done.

10. free sex says:

November 3rd, 2014 at 7:46 am (#)

Thanks for some other informative blog. The place else may I get that kind of info written in such an ideal method? I’ve a venture that I am simply now working on, and I have been on the look out for such info.

11. Coach iPhone 6 plus cases says:

December 7th, 2014 at 9:29 pm (#)

Sanchez’s two accomplices, Rafael Vega Sanchez and Michael Hawkins, had already pleaded guilty to charges and were prepared to testify against Sanchez, said prosecutors Lisa Hunt and John Franks.

12. xarelto bleeding precautions says:

April 21st, 2015 at 9:53 pm (#)

Anticoagulants such as Xarelto are prescribed to them
    to avert these clots from forming.

13. health says:

April 22nd, 2015 at 12:21 am (#)

After this, they discover the metal hardly even covers the cost of food for their trip and doesn’t
    cover the stitches so they borrow the money they needed from Jake in return for waxing his car.
    It takes a lot of work to get the cabkes installed.
    Of course, I haven’t tried all of them, but I have tried several VPN services tto stream Netflix overseas, and all oof them have worked without a problem.