School Alleviates Stress Instead of Causing It…For Once

by  |  November 3rd, 2008  |  Published in All, Blog

It’s only 1:30 in the afternoon, and already I have managed to sleep through my alarm, lock myself out the house, and forget that my ID is nestled somewhere in the depths of my gym bag instead of in my wallet. (Not to mention the fact that I should have had this post done before today, too.) I’m tired, I’m hungry, and I’m stressed.

Good thing psychology professor Richard Wiseman has created just the thing for me. On October 21, he unveiled what is being called “the world’s most relaxing room” at the University of Hertfordshire’s Health and Human Sciences Research Institute Showcase.

Image courtesy University of Hertfordshire

The room allows groups of ten visitors at a time to take advantage of the space’s calming, lavender-scented pillows and artificial clear blue sky. But this isn’t some zen-themed massage parlor-wannabe; this is chilling out backed by science.

The soft green light that fills the room has been shown to enhance dopamine production in the brain, which soothes stress and anxiety. That perfect blue sky provides a backdrop that encourages inward contemplation and draws focus away from daily stressors; the effect is similar to that of sensory deprivation, only much milder. The cushioned floor of the room encourages visitors to lay back with their heads nestled on pillows, and stare into the “sky.”

As if that weren’t enough to get the most strung-out stress junkie soothed, Wiseman called upon the university’s professor of music, Tim Blinko, to compose a special soundtrack to play in the room. It combines low frequency notes with a slow tempo for background, and uses a solo soprano voice with string instruments and a Tibetan singing bowl to achieve that mellow, meditating effect.

Past studies have found each of these components to help reduce stress levels, but this is the first time all have been used in the same setting at the same time.

The relaxation room isn’t Wiseman’s first foray into stress; a few years ago, he led an international study that measured walking speeds around the world. He found that people are living more fast-paced and stressful lives than ever and those findings motivated him to build this room. Wiseman hopes that the showcase will motivate schools and businesses to take action in fighting stress.

And with the agitation that seems to be rampant thanks to the current presidential election, there’s no time like the present.

1. rypitch says:

November 3rd, 2008 at 10:02 am (#)

I want a “relax room” to open across the street.

2. Mediamama says:

November 3rd, 2008 at 11:03 am (#)

For kids with sensory integration problems, there are entire catalogues dedicated to stress reduction. Swings, chew toys, and things that hug you figure prominently.

3. dan says:

November 6th, 2012 at 2:09 pm (#)

I read this great book called “The Nature of Life” by Anton Glotser, its packed with useful information on how to deal with stress and other issues and all of the techniques worked great for me. I got it on this website http://www.ithebook.com but my friend got his on a reading app on his phone.

4. Alfie says:

June 22nd, 2013 at 4:45 pm (#)

The i – OS serves as an ideal platform for the development of gaming
    applications. Step 9: Connect your i – Phone to the computer and turn it Off.
    Most teenagers and twenty somethings will elect to Hack or Jailbreak a phone since they are tech savvy or have access to a friend who can
    find the back door hacking methods.

5. Kevin says:

July 19th, 2013 at 11:16 am (#)

Their first attempt at a CGI animated film,
    The Tale of Despereaux, also bombed at the box office.
    However, they are then abducted by a flying saucer. Best Buy exclusive Blu-ray Steel – Books (includes Batman Begins, The Dark Knight,
    Sherlock Holmes, The Shawshank Redemption, Inception,
    The Hangover, The Hangover Part II, The Matrix, The Lord of the Rings:
    The Fellowship of the Ring, The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers, The Lord of the Rings: The
    Return of the King, The Book of Eli, Clash of the Titans, 300, Goodfellas, Gran Torino,
    Green Lantern, The Last Samurai, V for Vendetta
    and Sucker Punch).

6. iphone 2013 games says:

July 23rd, 2013 at 9:57 am (#)

Many of the top apps, paid and free, have been programmed using Cocos2D.
    Best Arcade Style iPhone Games4) Bejeweled 2
    This classic phone arcade game makes its appearance on the
    iPhone, bringing its tried and true gameplay to Apple’s system. So, enjoy a superb gaming experience availing services of games apps development.

7. youtube.com says:

July 24th, 2013 at 1:25 pm (#)

When you purchase services or goods online with Paypal, and the vendor steals your cash or sends you merchandise
    or software that does not meet your demands, then you can obtain your money
    back through Paypal in less than 24 hours.
    It makes sense to be cautious and take your time when jailbreaking so as
    to avoid any problems. Veency is a jailbreak
    app developed by Jay “Saurik” Freeman (the Cydia
    store creator.

8. body massage says:

January 28th, 2014 at 4:16 pm (#)

Beneficial day time very cool website! Man. Outstanding. Great. I will search for your web site in addition to make rss feeds additionally? I am content to discover plenty of helpful information the following inside posting, we would like figure out a lot more techniques in the following reverence, thank you spreading.

9. new games just out says:

September 8th, 2014 at 10:30 pm (#)

Hey! I know this is somewhat off topic but I was wondering
    if you knew where I could locate a captcha plugin for my comment form?
    I’m using the same blog platform as yours and I’m having trouble finding one?

Thanks a lot!

10. clash of clans mod says:

October 4th, 2014 at 9:40 pm (#)

This is very interesting, You’re a very skilled blogger. I
    have joined your feed and look forward to seeking more of
    your excellent post. Also, I’ve shared your web site in my social networks!

11. clash of clans hack xsellize says:

May 5th, 2015 at 11:22 pm (#)

clash of clans hack xsellize

School Alleviates Stress Instead of Causing It…For Once | ScienCentral | Science Videos | Science News :: ScienCentral | Science Videos | Science News