Healthy Curry Recipe

by  |  August 8th, 2008  |  Published in All, Health, Uncategorized

ScienCentral’s News video Curry for Diabetes reported that the curry spice turmeric’s yellow coloring might have health benefits. In this ScienCentral web exclusive Chef Suvir Saran, of New York City’s Devi restaurant, demonstrates how to use turmeric in a delicious recipe and defines what curry really is. Saran and Chef Hemant Mathur are owners of Devi, which received a Michelin Star rating in 2007 and 2008.

[If you cannot see the Revver video below, you can click here for a high quality mp4 video.]

Host: Sunita Reed; Chef: Suvir Saran
Produced by Sunita Reed & Toni Subklewe
Edited by Sunita Reed & Charles Young
Copyright © ScienCentral, Inc.

Stir-Fried Mixed Summer Squash
Adapted from Suvir Saran’s Indian Home Cooking: A Fresh Introduction to Indian Food, With More Than 150 Recipes (Clarkson Potter/Publishers)
Serves 6

3 tablespoons canola oil
1 tablespoon black mustard seeds
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
1/4 teaspoon turmeric
3 whole dried red chiles
1/2 fresh hot green chile, chopped
12 fresh or 16 frozen curry leaves, torn into pieces (optional)
1/8 teaspoon asafetida (optional)
2 1/2 pounds zucchini and yellow squash, trimmed, halved lengthwise, and then cut crosswise into 1/3-inch-thick slices
1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste

Combine the oil and mustard seeds in a large wok, kadai, or frying pan over medium-high heat. Cover (the mustard seeds pop and splatter) and cook until you hear the mustard seeds crackle, 1 to 2 minutes.

Add the cumin seeds, turmeric, dried and fresh chiles, and the curry leaves and asafetida, if using. (Stand back; the curry leaves spit when they hit the oil.) Add the squash and stir to coat the squash with the spices. Then cook, stirring often, for 5 minutes.

Add the salt and cook, stirring, until the squash is tender but still has some bite, 3 to 4 minutes longer. Taste for salt and serve hot.

1. Mediamama says:

August 13th, 2008 at 8:44 am (#)

Mmm. Sounds delicious!

2. Wishie says:

August 16th, 2008 at 10:40 am (#)

It's squash season & i luv me some curry, defly gonna try this recipe. & sorry but i disagree about the potatoes, they are my fav part b/c they get so saturated w the flavor (it's potato season too!).

3. fuzzyleaves says:

August 19th, 2008 at 11:36 pm (#)

Yeah, americans ruined curry!

4. Cheap Healthy Recipes says:

April 18th, 2009 at 12:55 am (#)

Wow,this is what I’m looking for,,Recipes involving a low-carbohydrate diet use low-carb alternatives as essential ingredients, tasting similar to the high-carb foods you are not allowed to eat. People who follow the Cheap Healthy Recipes feel both physically and mentally fit

5. Maisie Marshall says:

April 30th, 2010 at 9:48 pm (#)

Low Carb diet is really the best diet if you want to reduce weight and also to maintain a healthy body.*;.

6. Milk crates says:

May 11th, 2011 at 9:04 am (#)

My brother suggested I might like this blog. He used to be entirely right. This publish truly made my day. You cann’t imagine just how much time I had spent for this information! Thank you!

7. Free stuff says:

August 21st, 2011 at 11:20 am (#)

I liked up to you will receive carried out right here. The sketch is tasteful, your authored material stylish. nonetheless, you command get got an shakiness over that you want be turning in the following. unwell indisputably come more before once more as exactly the similar just about very incessantly within case you defend this hike.

8. Emerson Cromey says:

September 3rd, 2011 at 9:54 pm (#)

I don’t know where you’re getting the details, however excellent subject. My partner and i must spend some time understanding far more or perhaps comprehending a lot more. Thanks for wonderful information I was searching for this information regarding my mission.

9. Vonnie says:

October 12th, 2011 at 3:22 pm (#)

Thanks for taking the time to post this article. It is always educating to read someones perspective.

10. Vigora says:

February 25th, 2014 at 5:21 pm (#)

Vigora

11. my sources says:

March 5th, 2014 at 3:00 pm (#)

Heya i am for the first time listed here. I came across this particular aboard i believe it is genuinely handy & it reduced the problem outside a good deal. I’m hoping to make available the one thing once more in addition to aid some others as if you assisted myself.

12. related website says:

July 22nd, 2014 at 7:23 pm (#)

Appreciate a different useful web site. Where by more could I receive of which sort of information and facts written in this kind of excellent manner? I’ve got a undertaking that I am at the moment working in, and i also have been on the looks out there regarding similarly info.

13. basement spray sealant says:

October 22nd, 2014 at 7:08 am (#)

It can give your caar a shield from the damage that strong detergents cann give,
    air pollution and weather. The guest has to buyy the ‘rujak
    ‘ with a piece of roof tile prepared by the host.
    Make sure to brush out the air vents as thedse attract dust like a magnet.

Also visit mmy page basement spray sealant

14. http://megatachoco.com/ says:

August 15th, 2015 at 9:55 am (#)

I’ve learn several good stuff here. Certainly price bookmarking for revisiting.
    I wonder hhow a lot attempt youu put to make such a wonderful informative site.

Forr an awesome solution please view this pagge megatabolizer (http://megatachoco.com/)