Tip of the Tongue Learning

by  |  June 10th, 2008  |  Published in All, Brain & Psychology, Weird Science

When you can’t quite remember a tricky word or somebody’s name, trying to excavate it from your memory might be the worst thing you can do, according to new psychology research. This ScienCentral News video explains.

[If you cannot see the You Tube video below, you can click here for a high quality mp4 video.]

Interviewee: Karin Humphreys, McMaster University
Length: 1 min 24 sec
Produced by Jessica Tanenbaum
Edited by Jessica Tanenbaum and James Eagan
Copyright © ScienCentral, Inc., with additional footage courtesy University of Michigan Health System

How to Remember What You’re Always Forgetting

In a classic “Seinfeld” dilemma, Jerry draws a blank on his new girlfriend’s name, and the relationship has become too intimate for him just to ask. Throughout the half hour episode, Jerry’s various ploys to jog his memory bear no fruit, and the denouement comes too late to salvage the nascent romance. By the end of the show, the girlfriend has discovered his predicament, become irate, and stormed out of his apartment. And that’s when it hits him: “Dolores!”

Now, two psychologists from McMaster University are shedding light on the cause of Jerry’s mental block. According to a new study by Amy Beth Warriner and Karin Humphreys, the longer you try to come up with the word that’s on the tip of your tongue, the more likely you’ll be to get stuck on that word in the future.

For years, Humphreys herself endured a Seinfeld-like struggle with the word ‘obsidian,’ the term for black, shiny volcanic glass. Instead of saying ‘obsidian,’ Humphreys would think, “It’s like oblong, but no, it’s not oblong. I know that it’s not oblong but that’s the only word coming to mind,” she says.

But out of this protracted mental battle came an idea: maybe by straining her memory on that stubborn vocabulary word, she was making it even harder to remember the answer later on. To test out this hypothesis, she and Warriner brought 30 undergraduates into the psychology laboratory. Through their experiment, they found that “by actually getting into a tip of the tongue state, I’ve actually dug myself into a hole, and I’ve made this wrong learning. And the next time I go to do that, I’m going to get into this wrong state again,” says Humphreys.

The result has implications for the classroom, she says. “If the student can’t learn something or can’t remember something, then you often see the teacher encouraging them to work through it. ‘Just keep trying. It’ll come to you.’ And what we’re seeing is that perhaps that really isn’t the best technique,” she explains. Instead of trying to remember, students should look up the correct answer. And when you’re grinding your mental gears but have no way to research the answer immediately? For those situations, Humphreys advises that you “don’t keep trying. Just stop.”

For the study, published in the “Quarterly Journal of Experimental Psychology,” Humphreys and Warriner had volunteers play a simple vocabulary game. A computer screen would flash a question, such as “What is the name of a spear-like object that is thrown during a track meet?” (Hint: it starts with a J). Volunteers responded by pressing one of three buttons: know, don’t know, or TOT (tip of tongue). For TOT questions, the volunteers were assigned either ten or thirty seconds to agonize, before being shown the correct answer.

To make sure volunteers were staying on task, the researchers asked them vocalize their thoughts. Humphreys says the volunteers mumble things like, “‘Oh, I’m thinking. It sounds like something. I can’t quite remember. Oh! I think it starts with the letter K. I can’t quite get it.’ They actually talk aloud the whole time, so we know they’re keeping on trying to do this.”

Humphreys says the volunteers were motivated to relieve themselves of the tortured feelings that come with the tip of tongue condition. “It’s incredibly annoying, and there’s nothing more that you want in the world than to actually try and get this word out,” she says.

During the experiment, mental mining sometimes produced results. Other times, the established ten or thirty-second interval would elapse and the volunteers would still be stuck. That’s when the right answer would appear.

Two days later, volunteers came back for another go at the same questions. The finding: people who had twenty seconds longer to endure the TOT state were more likely to get stuck again on the second test. In their study, the authors describe those twenty seconds as “incorrect practice” time, where volunteers are practicing the erroneous stuck condition, rather than the answer.

The experiment has answered a question, why we repeat our mistakes, that’s been difficult for psychologists to test until now, says Humphreys. “The problem in studying this is that it’s very hard to get people to make mistakes on the spot. It’s very difficult to tease apart whether this repeated error is due to learning it, or that you’ve always had problems with this particular item,” she explains.

“What’s new about this is that we’re not trying to manipulate whether someone makes the mistake or not. We just have to wait for them to make a mistake all on their own, but what we can do instead is manipulate how long they spend” in the mistaken tip-of-tongue state, she says.

The research doesn’t stop there though. Humphreys and Warriner are following up by investigating the best way to correct your tip of tongue errors, and by studying the phenomenon in bilingual people. The research could also lead to new ways to help people who have difficulty remembering words, a problem that plagues people as they age.

So remember, if you’re trying to help out somebody who’s stuck, you should give them the answer. Humphreys also says you should “get them to repeat it back to you. But don’t leave them in this state where they just have to keep trying, because they’re just going to be digging themselves into that error again.”

So does Humphreys still get stuck when she finds herself discussing that shiny black volcanic glassy stuff? “I’ve actually practiced obsidian a great deal so I’m no longer in trouble on that particular one anymore,” she says.

This study was published in the Quarterly Journal of Experimental Psychiatry and received funding from the Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada.

1. Wilford Dillahunty says:

July 31st, 2013 at 11:24 am (#)

Thanks so much! That is really awesome to hear!

2. sweater says:

August 2nd, 2013 at 11:47 am (#)

I’m the last human being who’d want to see a racer hurt, maimed, or killed; however, you should understand the context of his comments by what Moss lived as a result of. In his day, merely surviving the race was likely as exhilarating as earning the podium is nowadays, as those guys have been definitely cheating Death merely by bringing their cars “home”. Feel back again to Jackie Stewart, and ways in which a lot of people derided his efforts to improve hell, produce track safety. In Moss’ day, the tracks had been treacherous, the cars typically evil, and no protective gear or safety or medical workers. It took huge “attachments” to confront that, and I think that is his point.

3. Tonia Markey says:

August 4th, 2013 at 2:12 pm (#)

Just wish to say your article is as astounding. The clarity for your put up is just excellent and i could think you are a professional in this subject. Fine along with your permission let me to take hold of your RSS feed to stay updated with drawing close post. Thanks 1,000,000 and please continue the rewarding work.|

4. Wypożyczalnia samochodów Gdańsk says:

August 5th, 2013 at 4:23 pm (#)

Hrmm that was weird, my comment received eaten. Anyway I wanted to say that it;s good to understand that someone else also mentioned this as I had trouble finding exactly the same info elsewhere. This was the initial spot that told me the answer. Thanks.

5. tiffany jewelry discount says:

August 5th, 2013 at 9:42 pm (#)

Many of their object trends have emerged many area office space movies online at Market.Ray Ban Sunglasses are increasingly becoming section of stylish for female; it is not only your protective equipment to make the sight but more fundamental accent. Mainly because of favor the reason models love ray ban sunglasses frames (more Ray Ban on this site). Often the benefits of the brand are formed in her best towards the figure

6. Bart Venegas says:

August 6th, 2013 at 1:41 am (#)

There are definitely numerous details like that to take into consideration. That may be a great point to bring up. I supply the thoughts above as general inspiration but clearly there are questions like the one you bring up where the most important thing can be working in trustworthy good faith. I don?t know if greatest practices have emerged around things like that, but I am positive that your job is clearly identified as a fair game. Both boys and girls feel the impact of just a moment�s pleasure, for the rest of their lives.

7. Mina Bezanson says:

August 6th, 2013 at 11:20 pm (#)

quite good post, i surely really like this fabulous internet site, persist with it 931561

8. Instant Traffic Commissions says:

August 7th, 2013 at 12:44 am (#)

I have read some just right stuff here. Certainly price bookmarking for revisiting. I surprise how a lot attempt you place to create any such fantastic informative website.

9. Bryant Poltrock says:

August 7th, 2013 at 6:09 pm (#)

iphone 3gs water damage

10. Afton Tapaoan says:

August 8th, 2013 at 7:10 am (#)

Nearly all of whatever you point out happens to be astonishingly appropriate and it makes me wonder why I hadn’t looked at this with this light before. This piece truly did switch the light on for me personally as far as this subject matter goes. Nevertheless at this time there is one particular point I am not necessarily too cozy with so whilst I attempt to reconcile that with the actual central idea of your issue, allow me see what the rest of your readers have to point out.Well done.

11. Continue Reading says:

August 11th, 2013 at 8:51 am (#)

Greetings from Carolina! I’m bored at work so I decided to browse your website on my iphone during lunch break. I really like the information you present here and can’t wait to take a look when I get home. I’m amazed at how fast your blog loaded on my cell phone .. I’m not even using WIFI, just 3G .. Anyways, very good site!

12. Felipa Hayertz says:

August 12th, 2013 at 4:36 am (#)

An impressive share, I just given this onto a colleague who was doing somewhat analysis on this. And he in fact bought me breakfast because I found it for him.. smile. So let me reword that: Thnx for the treat! But yeah Thnkx for spending the time to discuss this, I feel strongly about it and love reading more on this topic. If attainable, as you become expertise, would you mind updating your blog with more details? It is highly helpful for me. Massive thumb up for this blog publish!

13. Nigel Freet says:

August 13th, 2013 at 2:08 am (#)

I�m impressed, I must say. Really rarely do I encounter a blog that�s both educative and entertaining, and let me tell you, you’ve got hit the nail on the head. Your idea is outstanding; the issue is something that not enough people are speaking intelligently about. I am very comfortable that I stumbled across this in my search for something relating to this.

14. Tod Cuartas says:

August 14th, 2013 at 1:33 am (#)

This is the right blog for anyone who needs to seek out out about this topic. You understand so much its virtually hard to argue with you (not that I truly would wantHaHa). You undoubtedly put a new spin on a topic thats been written about for years. Great stuff, just great!