Sunlight, Vitamin D and Cancer

by  |  January 8th, 2008  |  Published in All, Health

We often associate getting too much sun with getting cancer. But, is not getting enough sun even more harmful? A new study reveals a surprising relationship among sunlight, vitamin D, and cancer. This ScienCentral News video explains.

Burning Questions

Getting a lot less sunlight in the winter doesn’t just affect our moods it may also increase the risk of dying from cancer. Researchers in Norway and the United States say the key is vitamin D, produced in our skin by ultraviolet rays from the sun.

Richard Setlow, senior biophysicist emeritus at Brookhaven National Laboratory, collaborated with Johan Moan and Alina Carmen Porojnicu of the Institute for Cancer Research in Oslo, Norway, and Arne Dahlback of the University of Oslo.

They compared cancer rates and cancer death rates at different latitudes. People at high latitudes, like in Norway, get less direct sunlight as opposed to people in Australia who live closer to the equator. The researchers found that while skin cancer rates are higher closer to the equator, death rates from all types of cancer are lower.

They wrote in The Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, the benefit of moderate sun exposure seems to outweigh the risk of skin cancers.

“Assuming you go out in the sun, vitamin D increases as you get closer to the equator,” explains Setlow. “The importance of vitamin D is it tends to protect against the lethal effects– death from the cancer, not just skin cancers.”

It’s more evidence that a little sunshine can boost more than your spirits.

The researchers say that because cancers take so long to appear, it will take many years to know whether recent anti-sun campaigns may actually cause an increase in the deadliest form of skin cancer, malignant melanoma.

Setlow explains how that could happen. “Vitamin D is made by the shorter wavelength of sunlight, what we call ultraviolet B, or UV-B,” he says. But, scientists have only recently understood that “Melanoma is caused by the longer wavelength, UV-A.”

While UV-B rays can cause nonmelanoma skin cancers by damaging DNA, those cancers don’t tend to be lethal. “The kinds of cancers we call melanomas may result in death if not attended to, but vitamin D protects against death from many types of skin cancers and many other (internal) cancers– breast cancer, prostate cancer,” he says “So you don’t want to get too much UV-A, but you want to get UV-B.”

The problem, explains Setlow, is that conventional sunscreens generally give us the opposite. UV-B rays are the ones that cause burning, while UV-A rays cause tanning. “Most conventional sunscreens screen out UV-B but not UV-A,” he points out.

That’s why more researchers are recommending moderate sun exposure of 10 to 15 minutes in the sun, followed by using a sunscreen that blocks both UV-A and UV-B. But the emphasis is on moderate, and many dermatologists still disagree.

Setlow also suggests that sunscreens be redesigned in light of the new understanding of the effects of the different UV wavelengths.

But he also reminds us that we can also get vitamin D from foods or supplements.

“You’re getting a benefit that tends to decrease the death rate from cancers; Cancers in general, not just skin cancers,” he says.

This research was published in PNAS advance online publication the week of January 7, 2008, and funded by: Sigval Bergesen D.Y. og hustru Nankis Foundation, the Research Foundation of The Norwegian Radiumhospital and by Helse-S�¸r Norway. BNL is operated by Brookhaven Science Associates, under contract with the US DOE.

1. Melanoma Detector | ScienCentral | Science Videos | Science News says:

March 30th, 2009 at 3:14 pm (#)

[...] Sunlight, Vitamin D and Cacncer 1.8.08 [...]

2. The most important nutrients that prevent chronic disease | Living Disease Free says:

July 29th, 2011 at 1:02 pm (#)

[...] not to spend time in the sun, associating to much sun to skin melanoma. More researchers are now recommending moderate sun exposure, without sunscreen, of 10 to 15 minutes at least three times a week. One of most commonly occurring [...]

3. Signs of Cancer says:

September 20th, 2011 at 10:01 am (#)

With cancer being the second leading cause of death, I want to see it cured. I don’t know if this is entirely possible, but we do have a starting place. We can learn and educate about the signs and symptoms of cancer in order to achieve earlier diagnoses. Some cancers are curable if found soon enough. This is why I yearn to teach the signs of cancer! Thank you for this site and please continue to teach!

4. Aleta Credeur says:

October 8th, 2012 at 9:33 pm (#)

Vitamin D is really needed so that we can absorb properly the calcium and magnesium that we are taking from food and other supplements. *’,”`

Our favorite homepage

5. Lurlene Lawis says:

November 25th, 2012 at 10:17 pm (#)

You can always get free Vitamin-D by just exposing yourself in the morning sun. The skin can manufacture its own vitamin-d. .

<a href=”Take a look at all of the latest piece of writing on our new webpage

6. Trent Fulton says:

March 22nd, 2013 at 10:16 am (#)

I am extremely very happy in your article for the reason that your article was very nice and I got proper information in your article.

7. Meg Pinuelas says:

May 14th, 2013 at 8:36 pm (#)

Siempre muy informativo. He leído algunos artículos de aquí y tengo que decir que este es el mejor.

8. Jeff says:

June 3rd, 2013 at 6:44 am (#)

Unquestionably believe that which you said. Your favorite reason appeared to be on the web the simplest thing to be aware of.
    I say to you, I definitely get annoyed while people consider worries that they
    just do not know about. You managed to hit the nail upon the top as well as
    defined out the whole thing without having side effect , people can take a signal.
    Will probably be back to get more. Thanks

9. Lavonne says:

June 7th, 2013 at 1:24 pm (#)

Hmm is anyone else experiencing problems with the pictures on this blog loading?
    I’m trying to find out if its a problem on my end or if it’s the blog.

Any feed-back would be greatly appreciated.

10. stretch marks says:

June 24th, 2013 at 4:55 pm (#)

Hey I am so grateful I found your web site, I really found you by
    mistake, while I was looking on Digg for something else,
    Regardless I am here now and would just like to say thanks a lot for a remarkable post and a
    all round enjoyable blog (I also love the theme/design), I don’t have time to look over it all at the minute but I have saved it and also added in your RSS feeds, so when I have time I will be back to read much more, Please do keep up the excellent work.

My blog … stretch marks

11. http://www.languageebooksreviewed.com says:

July 25th, 2013 at 5:04 am (#)

Yo~yo dieting calorie intake provides all those D’s we talk about. To lose weight, you need to consider these things. The problem became even worse after giving birth to my second child. A person’s best weight loss method for everyone.

So, their needs were fairly different.

12. how do you repair credit says:

January 2nd, 2014 at 4:32 pm (#)

I believe that is probably the most important info for me. And i’m happy mastering your own post. Having said that would you like to opinion about couple of ordinary issues, It model is ideal, the actual reports was in point of fact excellent : D. Great process, best wishes

13. http://www.pinterest.com says:

March 1st, 2014 at 6:25 pm (#)

Helpful information. Lucky me I found your website unintentionally, and I am shocked why this accident did not happened in advance!
    I bookmarked it.

14. Vitamin d 1000 orthomol says:

March 14th, 2014 at 10:36 pm (#)

You not the expert, casually? orthomol vitamin b5 acne

15. Mi40x Reviews says:

February 8th, 2015 at 12:43 am (#)

Mi40x Reviews